See if you can answer these questions.
- What team won the last Super Bowl? Name the last 5 Super Bowl winning teams.
- Who won on last season’s Survivor reality TV show? Who were the last 5 winners?
- What team won the World Series this year? Name the last 5 World Series winners.
- Who won the Grammy for Best Female Country Vocal Performance in 2011? Who were the last 5 winners?
- Which TV Comedy Series won the Golden Globe Award earlier this year for that category? What shows won for the last 5 years?
- Who were/are the 5 people who most impacted your professional life?
My guess is you may have been able to get some answers to questions 1 thru 5, especially the most recent winner, but you were likely challenged with remembering the last 5 winners. But how did you do with question #6? Most people can quickly come up with 5 people who had a direct and substantial impact on their professional lives. The mentoring, guidance, patience, support, wisdom provided were the building blocks to how you act and behave in your leadership role. What they told you, and more importantly how they acted and behaved, taught you how you can be successful.
Quickly, make a list of those 5 people. Invest one minute on each person capturing what you learned from each. Take 2 minutes in a power pose (feet up on desk, hands behind the head) and ponder the value of the wisdom you have gained from those folks on your list.
Now, ask yourself. . . if your employees were asked the same series of questions above would your name be on their list in #6?
Curious on the answers to the questions? Follow these links to see the answers.